Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Purple Sweet Potato Milk Loaf

What is the bread menu of the week? Well, I have to say this time it's pretty special. Why? Well, perhaps by looking at the photo of my loaf itself, it says it all. Haha, yeah it's purple, purple sweet potato milk loaf. I have seen several bread recipes that calls for the usual orange flesh sweet potato and I always wonder how it will look or even taste like if I were to use a purple sweet potato for the bread recipe?! And I have been scouting around for these purple roots for quite awhile now...it's really not that common. :-P But just my luck I found some selling at the wet market last Sunday and really fresh too, yoohoo!
For the benefit of those whom has not seen a purple sweet potato before, I have attached a photo of the root for your viewing reference. :)
As you can see, the flesh of the root is a nice bright purple, isn't it great! So without much ado, I started working out a bread recipe, yes, a Honey Bee Sweet creation again if I may. And I can proudly say (after munching down a slice) that this is a very successful recipe! Definitely a keeper. ;)

Ingredients for Purple Sweet Potato Milk Loaf:
400g bread flour
220g purple sweet potato, peeled, sliced, steamed and mashed
60g caster sugar
1 large egg (AA)

1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant active yeast
60ml fresh whipping cream
100ml fresh milk (more or less depending on the moisture left in the mashed potato)
60g unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup big plum raisins


Method:
  • Mix all ingredients except butter and raisins in a large mixing bowl to form a soft dough. Knead the dough till it is not sticky, about 20 minutes.
  • Add the unsalted butter in and continue to knead till the dough is shiny and elastic. To test if the dough is ready, pull a small piece off and stretching it with your fingers. If dough is very elastic and pulls to almost see through without breaking, then it's done.
  • Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to proof for at least 90 minutes.
  • Punch out the air in the dough and divide it into 4 equal portions.
  • Roll out each portion into a long flat oval shape and scatter the raisins on top. Then roll up one end to make it into a swiss roll form.
  • If you want to make everything into one large loaf, repeat with the other 3 dough portions and place in a 9" by 6" bread tin. Else you can do like I did, use only 3 portions in a 8" by 5" loaf tin and the last dough portion in a smaller mold (I used a mini tube pan). Let proof for another 90 minutes or it rises to 90% of the tin.
  • Preheat oven to 180°C.
  • Brush loaf top with egg wash and bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. If top browns too quickly, cover with foil and reduce heat to 170°C and bake till time is complete.
  • Remove from bread tin immediately when done and cool on rack completely before slicing. Enjoy!
The loaf slices up into a pretty purplish pink on the inside. I am so sure my girls are going to say" It's pink bread, Mommy!" when they see it the next morning, haha! And that mini tube loaf is baked especially for them, cute right? Will cut it up for their breakfast tomorrow, hope they will like it as much as I do. ;D
And the best past is, the bread is super soft, with a very well balanced taste, good on it's own as I have added raisins to it. And surprisingly, a very very slight hint of sweet potato taste at the back, nice! My only regret now is how come I did not make more?!
So, if you do see purple sweet potatoes coming to a store near you, you know what you need to do next, haha! Enjoy!

14 comments:

quizzine said...

I thought of making this too, but couldn't find the purple sweet potato; only yellow ones. Shall make this over the weekend!

Happy Homebaker said...

Wow, this look super delicious!! I love the super soft texture, how I wish someone can make it a loaf ;)

Para i familiaku said...

WOW, interesting. We have purple sweet potatoes here on island, never thought of making bread with it. I will definately have to try this recipe... Thanks for sharing!

Grace said...

uahh! such pretty bread
adding cranberries was a good idea

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi quizzine,
It was very lucky of me to find the purple ones. Perhaps you can try out Cold Storage, they normally carry more imported goods. ;) But I guess yellow ones can also make a nice loaf too.

Hi HHB,
Welcome to my blog! It is indeed a very nice bread, do try it when you see purple sweet potato in the market. ;) You are such a pro-baker, I'm sure you can make a much better loaf! ;D

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Para i Familaku,
Great! Do try it and let me know how yours turn out. Yeah it just come to me and I'm always eager to try new bakes, lucky me it turn out great! happy baking!

Hi Grace,
Thanks for the compliment! Actually I added raisins this time, but cranberries will be nice too. ;)

Sweet Tooth said...

I think you masterted bread making. The corn bread and this sweet potato bread have the same soft consistency.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Sweet Tooth, you have the kindest words! ;) Will make more yummy bread for you every week! ;D

quizzine said...

Hi,
I made this bread last Saturday and it turned out soft and fluffy! Thanks for sharing the recipe ;-)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi quizzine,

So glad you have successfully made the purple loaf! Sure, food taste better when it's shared. ;) Enjoy!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Definitely soft and yummy! I made them twice and are well received by my family.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Glad you like the recipe. Happy baking! :)

Monica said...

Hi,
Is 220 gr theweight of sweet potatoes after steaming?
Thanks

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Yes Monica, after steamed.