Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Indonesian Curry Prawns & Assorted Buns

I don't know about you, but I seldom cook shelled seafood at home, namely crabs, clams, but more oftenly prawns. Well, they do taste good, but personally I find them slightly less healthy verses the other seafood choices like fishes and having to pay at a higher price. But eating it as an occasional treat is always nice. So when I do find a good recipe for them, I will find a chance to cook for my family to enjoy. Just like tonight, I would like to introduce this really delicious Indonesian curry prawns to you all. I have already cooked it twice and both occasions have been well received. The ingredients are not hard to find, so it's easy to get it prepared any time of the night. ;) Imagine serving up a restaurant standard dish at your dinner table, ain't that good. ;)Ingredients:
400g large / tiger prawns
1.5 cups vegetable oil for deep frying


Spice (grounded in spice blender):
3 shallots
1 pip garlic
2 red chilies
2 stalks lemongrass

5 tbsp thick coconut milk
200ml water

Seasoning:
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
2 tbsp dried shrimps, chopped, deep fried until crispy
2 pieces kaffir lime leaf, shredded

Method:
  • Deep-fry the prawns in hot oil for 1/2 min. Dish and drain.
  • Leave 2 tbsp of oil in the wok, saute grounded spice until fragrant. Add coconut milk, water and continue to cook for 2 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add fried prawns, seasoning and stir well. Dish onto a serving platter.
  • Sprinkle deep fried dried shrimps and kaffir lime leaf on top and serve.
This is yet another wonderful dish to serve with steamed white or basmati rice. I can eat a big bowl of steamed rice with this yummy gravy and sweet prawns, so I always cook extra rice whenever I make curry dishes...mmmm!

Made some bread again today, specifically a varieties of buns. Have been planning to do this since last week, since my better half totally enjoyed the buns I made before. ;) Besides the usual ham and cheese, hotdog buns, I made a couple of new ones; (1)Fried Shallots and Scallions (green onion) Buns
, (2)Egg and Mayo buns.
Did not have time to come up with any new dough recipe, so I fall back to the same recipe I used earlier. Since this dough is so versatile, I can use it for any kind of filling or topping. :)
The fried shallots and scallions filling is pretty easy to prepare. Simply fry the sliced shallots till golden brown, drain off majority of the oil, then add the chopped scallions, a dash of pepper and salt to taste. Stir fry for another 15 seconds and dish up to cool before use.
This is a simple yet delicious bun, something light compared to all those ham and hotdogs. :) With the flavorful and aromatic filling, it's really yummy. ;)
This egg and mayo bun is totally inspired by my elder daughter. She loves everything egg, be it fried, scrambled, boiled, steamed, black egg, quail's egg and even food containing egg, hahaha! So I decided to make 2 of these buns, egg side up, squirted with mayo and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and dried parsley over. The taste is very nice, creamy and flavorful...should have made more of these. ;-PThink after this round of buns, it will be awhile before I made them...kind of boring to keep making the same stuff! Think I should make some paos the next round....so till next time, happy baking! ;)

5 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

That's very appetizing curry prawns! Thanks for sharing, must try it one of these day. Cheers!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Grace. ;) Remember to cook extra rice to go with it1 ;D

ReeseKitchen said...

Like the buns alot, thanks!! I will try it out some day....;)
The prawns looks so delicious leh....makes me hungry lorr...;p

Unknown said...

oh dear, im absolutely hook to ur blog wi the delicious recipes n pictures!!! keep it coming!! =P

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Heehee, the curry prawns IS very good Reese. Perhaps next time if we have potluck, then I can make it for you ladies. ;)

Hi dainty,
So happy to know I have another supporter out there! Thanks! Your encouragement is the fuel to drive me on. ;) Keep it coming too!! :D