Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Healthy Treats: Banana and Oat Muffin

When you have that 2 or 3 overly ripe bananas in your kitchen, "looking" at you every time you walk pass. You know it ain't that tasty anymore since it's too ripe and mushy when you peel it. And kept emitting that ever so fragrant banana scent, telling you it's now or never! Never because it might just rot before you can get to it. :P I am sure everyone of us experience this all too often! Well, as I always say, there's never enough banana recipes to go around! So here I am again, after trying to justify why I am posting this yet another banana cake recipe on my blog, (busted! lol!!) share with you this wonderful and healthy muffin cake that you will not feel guilty chowing down 2-3 of these babies.


Actually I got this recipe idea from Veronica from Peng's kitchen. I believe she got her recipe from Kevin Chai's  book. I decided to modify it to even healthier version by not using butter and adding some wholewheat flour. Check it out:

Healthy Banana and Oat Muffins (makes about 10-12 small)
120ml vegetable oil
70g dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 whole egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup low fat plain yoghurt / fresh milk
140g ripe and mashed bananas
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
100g cake flour
25g wholewheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4tsp baking soda
90g instant oat 

Walnuts(roughly chopped) and chocolate chips each 1/4 cup
  • Preheat the oven to 175C. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
  • In a large mixing bowl, beat the oil, egg and sugar together till brown sugar has melted. If sugar did not melt properly, place mixture over double boiler to help speed up the process. 
  • Add milk, vanilla extract and salt and stir well.
  • Sift in cake flour, baking powder and baking soda and stir well. 
  • Lastly, add in wholewheat flour and oats, stir well till combined
  • Add in walnut and chocolate chips in desired and stir to mix.
  • Scoop batter into muffin cups or baking trays. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes till tester comes out clean.
I actually divided the batter into 2 portions and half for walnuts and the other half for chocolate chips. Since my hubs and I wants the healthier version, we opted for the walnut ones...:D
I was surprise these muffins turned out moist and delicious! I really enjoy the walnut chunks and the slight chewy texture given by the oats. I am already planning to bake these again for my parents knowing that they will enjoy them and also not harmful to their health. :)
 See that chunky walnut in there? Yummy! Nom nom nom...I love walnuts! And don't get me started on how healthy they are to us...so snack on them walnuts! :D

Alright, gonna keep this short since tomorrow is still another school day. *sigh* And there's much to do. :P Will try to be back with another post real soon...hopefully before end of the month! *Fingers crossed*

Have a good evening then everyone!

11 comments:

ann low said...

I also prefer the walnuts in the muffin. Look very yummy!

Yummy Bakes said...

indeed these muffins look good and healthy. what kind of instant oats - quaker oats can?

Mich Piece of Cake said...

These muffins have such a gorgeous texture! Love it.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Yes Quaker should be ok. But remember don't use quick oats, instant is better. The original recipe calls for rolled oats but grounded...I prefer instant... Still have some texture. :)

Lite Home Bake said...

This looks like one yummy healthy treat, nice!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

很饱满的感觉
看了心情大好
很想也来大咬一口:)

Baby Sumo said...

I love banana muffins too, any type at all. Yours look loaded with ingredients, I like! :)

lena said...

Glorious muffins!! i love how they bloomed and plumped up!! chomp! chomp! chomp!!

Tina said...

I love home made sweets. I will try your recipes as soon as I have some free time to spend in my kitchen. Thank you for sharing such yummy recipes

Jessica said...

These look divine! I made some Healthy Banana Walnut muffins with Applesauce but never thought about adding chocolate chips!

Did you make any with both walnut and chocolate? I'd love to know. Sounds like something that will have to go on my 'to bake' list :)

Unknown said...

Hi, i just baked the muffins withh my girl! Smells great! I couldn't find where to add the bananas! Hope i added correctly, after sugar!