Thursday, October 31, 2013

California Maki -AFF featuring Japan

Oh my, this is bad. Bad as in I am gone too long and still feel comfortable about it, haha! Gosh, I seriously hope this ain't gonna become a habit! Anyways, Shan't waste time doing small talks, let's just get down to business. This is a much delayed post since I made this like 3 weeks ago haha! California Maki, a rather popular a kind of sushi roll, usually made inside-out, containing cucumber, crab meat or imitation crab, and avocado. In short, it is delicious sushi, haha!


Ingredients for California Maki (Serves 3)
1 cup sushi rice (uncooked)
1/2 tsp Japanese rice vinegar
1/2 tsp mirin
  • Cook the rice as per normal. Once done, add in the vinegar and mirin and gently fold in to combine. Let rice cool before use
~3-4 tbsp tobiko
1 ripe avocado, peeled, cored and sliced into 8 equal strips lengthwise
1 Japanese cucumber, also peeled, removed seed portion and cut lengthwise into 4
8-10 strips of imitation crab meat
2 egg, beaten and pan fried, cut into strips (Optional)
Some Japanese mayo
4 nori sheets

You will also need:
Bamboo mat
Saran wrap
  • I usually will wrap the bamboo wrap so that the rice will not get in between and hard to wash up later.
  • I cut the nori sheets into half.
  • Place about 3 to 4 tbsp amount of sushi rice and press down so that the rice stick nicely.
  •  Next you gently flip the nori sheet over and rice facing down.
  •  Place the avocado, crab meat and cucumber on top. At the same time, squeeze some Japanese mayo on top.
  •  Then roll it up tightly. If at this point you find the ingredients are "oozing out", it means you have place too much ingredients. If you prefer having more ingredients, you might not want cut the nori sheets into half.
  • Using a teaspoon and sprinkle/press the tobiko over the top surface of the sushi roll.
  •  Then place a saran wrap over the top and then gently using the bamboo shoot and roll it up to press down the tobiko.
  • Unwrap the bamboo and saran, then using a sharp knife to cut the sushi into half first. Then cut each half into 3 equal portions.
I actually kind of enjoyed making this California maki. In fact I love making sushi for my kids and this inside out version was kinda of a challenge haha! But definitely worth a try if you love sushi, :)
I am happy to submit this to this month's Asian Food Fest #1 Oct 2013 : Japan, hosted by Alan from travelling-foodies
Have a good night all!

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Oh I want these for my lunch! Looks so appetising and I love the texture of tobiko

My Little Space said...

Hmm...yumm..yumm... Love sushi and you did a great job on this. Kudos lady !
Kristy