Thursday, July 23, 2015

Wholewheat Buns

The discovery of another great bread recipe calls for a post. :P I guess this will be never ending, but I don't think anyone is complaining, hah! You can never have too much of good soft yummy bread for sure. But I shall keep this one super short since I really didn't expect to blog about it in the first place. :P

This is such an easy recipe, much like the white bread loaf I posted a few days back. Straight dough method with no special gimmicks. Let's take a look at the ingredients needed. ;)

Ingredients for Wholewheat Bread Buns (makes 8" by 8" baking tray - 9 buns)
215 g bread flour
85 g whole wheat flour (I use Organic version, look here for the picture) 
35 g caster sugar
1 egg + milk  (210 ml)
4 g salt
5 g instant active yeast
1/4 cup white sesame seeds

30 g unsalted butter at room temperature
  • In a stand mixer bowl, add in all the ingredients except the butter.
  • Knead it well using the hook attachment, the dough will slowly come together. Continue to knead and eventually it will pulls away from the side of the bowl. That will take about 10-12 minutes. You can stop the kneading for 2 to 3 minutes to have a break in between. 
  • Add in the butter and continue to knead till it is very elastic and reaches the window panel.
  • Leave dough in a greased bowl, covered and let proof till it doubles in size or for 1hr.
  • When it is well proofed, poke in the center. If it doesn't rise back up, the dough is ready to be shaped.
  • Punch out the air and weigh out 9 portions of ~62 g of dough. Should be just about enough. Roll round and cover to rest for 5 minutes before shaping. 
  • Preheat the oven to 170C and grease a 8" by 8" baking tray. No parchment paper is needed.
  • Roll the dough round and seal in any loose bits. Then dip the top of the dough on to the sesame seeds. Then place the dough, sesame seed side up into the prepared baking tray. Repeat till all the dough is used.
  • Let it proof for another 30 to 40 minutes or till it rises to the top.
  • Bake in the oven for 28 minutes till golden brown. If top turns brown too quickly, cover with aluminium foil.
  • Once baked, remove from oven and also from the baking tray immediately. Cool on the rack.
So happy with the result! Soft and fluffy and good for sweet or savoury accompaniment in your meals. I had it for my lunch with pulled pork and made an awesome burger!
If you follow me on Instagram, you would have probably saw these photos. :P If not come join me at @Honeybeesweets.sg. You can also catch a video I posted there on how I tear up the soft buns. :P It's all good...just to test the texture haha!

More fluffiness please...
This bread took me 3 hours top from beginning to end to bake up. So plan your baking time properly and you can get it on the dinner table sooner then you expected!
One last shot which was taken the next day. Yes still soft and yummy. I am sure it will still be good the next day, else a quick steam or light toast will make it even better. :9

Hope you all will give this a try and let me know or show me when you do!
Happy baking and remember to keep doing what you LOVE!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It looks so soft and fluffy!

Cuisine Paradise said...

As I have no luck in handling dough, I always love to see your bread post/video. Yours always turn out so fluffy and good!!!

Angie's Recipes said...

They are so fluffy and soft!

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

This wholewheat bun looks so soft and fluffy! Still trying to perfect my bread making skills, wish I can make them as good as yours!

Unknown said...

Very nice post, I bookmark your blog because I found very good information on your blog, Thanks

for sharing...!
order online food

Anonymous said...

Great recipe. The bread came out really soft that even my 2 picky eaters love to eat them. Thanks for sharing.