Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Chocolaty Milo Bread

Everyone loves Milo. Up to this day, I have not met anyone that doesn't! And I have grown up drinking this beverage as long as I can remember. It is like a comfort food (or drink) to me, whether it is served hot or cold. Talking about it makes me wanna have a cup now! No no this is not a paid post, I am just stating some facts about this favourite household drink which even my FIL is still drinking daily. #HardcoreFan

So I have baked Milo Chiffon cake before, I think, why not use it to bake a bread this time! Sky is the limit yo. Plus I added wholewheat flour into the recipe which makes it slightly more wholesome and yet still soft. :9 Another one of those hidden goodness that the kids need not know but still stuffed themselves with....hehe

This is yet another straight dough method that does not require that long of a waiting time. I love. I can totally relate to those busy days (or lazy days) when you can only have that much of time to bake, no pre dough please. :P And Milo has such a nice chocolaty flavour, my kids were eating the bread straight without any spreads. I even made Milo for them to go with it, haha!

Ingredients for Chocolaty Milo Bread (Makes a loaf and 4 small buns)
315 g bread flour
75 g Milo powder
50 g wholewheat flour
35 g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 g instant active yeast
225 ml chocolate milk
40 g egg white
30 g unsalted butter, room temp
  • In a stand mixer bowl, add in all the ingredients except the butter.
  • Knead it well using the hook attachment, the dough will slowly come together. Continue to knead and eventually it will pulls away from the side of the bowl. That will take about 10-12 minutes. You can stop the kneading for 2 to 3 minutes to have a break in between. 
  • Add in the butter and continue to knead till it is very elastic and reaches the window panel.


  • Leave dough in a greased bowl, covered and let proof till it doubles in size or for 1hr.
  • When it is well proofed, poke in the center. If it doesn't rise back up, the dough is ready to be shaped.


  • Punch out the air and weigh out 4 portions of 150 g of dough. Roll round and cover to rest for 5 minutes before shaping. The remaining dough can be used for other small buns, up to your own creation. I have about 4 portions of 40 g doughs left.


  • For the 4 bigger portions, take a portion of the dough and roll it out flat into a rectangle. Roughly the length of 20 cm by 15 cm. Then fold in the longer sides in. Then roll in from one end like a swiss roll, then seal the edges. 


  • Repeat till all four portions are rolled and placed into the greased loaf tin.


  •  For the smaller portions, I rolled them  like mini croissants with chocolate sticks in them.

Step 1
Step 2
Step 3

  • Let the dough proof till it doubles in size which will take about 45 minutes or so. Then preheat the oven to 175C. 

  • Bake in the preheated oven, the buns for 12 minutes and the loaf for 28-30 minutes till golden brown.
  • Once baked, remove from the oven and let cool on the rack.
It was smelling so good in my kitchen when the bread was out. Chocolaty, milo-y, makes me all nostalgic inside haha. ;9
And of course we need to tear open that loaf to see how I fair...

Looking pretty good if I dare say so myself. Texture was to my satisfactory....wait...better then I expected! 
So what are you all waiting for? Get in the kitchen and start baking! I am pretty sure your kids will love this...mine sure did. ;)

Thanks for staying on to read this guys, appreciate it!
Like I always say, keep doing what you love, you never know, one day it will bring about that dream you have.
Have a fun day y'all!


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I use my breadmaker to do he knead and proofing instead?

Unknown said...

Hihi can I know if I can use my breadmaker to do the knead and proofing instead.
? Thanks

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Jess, I think it should be okay, though I don't own a bread maker, I don't really know how it works.

Anonymous said...

It turned out cotton soft, Im so happy ;)
Thanks Bee for sharing tis great recipe.

Anonymous said...

Baked & it turned out really soft...so happppy :)
Thanks dear for sharing tis great recipe.

Anonymous said...

Baked & really luv tis soft bread. Thanks Bee for sharing tis recipe.

Anonymous said...

Baked & really luv tis soft soft bread. Thanks Bee for sharing.

Unknown said...

Hi can I substitute whole wheat flour back to bread flour? Thanks

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Globuild,

Yes you can try that.

Anonymous said...

Hi . just found your blog and love it. Can you please tell me how do you roll the dough out to get the shape to make into croissant buns. Appreciate your help. Thanks chloe

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Chloe,

The steps are already shown in my post above how to roll the shape... I do not know how else to show you. Just shape accordingly as in the photos...thats all

Lynette said...

Hello,

Would like some pointers from you since my bread making always fail!

Do you do the whole kneading process using the dough hook or hand knead it halfway? I do not have a bread maker.

My dough is always very sticky and hard to handle. If I were to wet my hands with water or oil, will it change the texture?

My recent bread dough doesn't rise much when I put it at a warm area to proof. My yeast hadn't expired so I'm not very sure what went wrong there.

Hope you can help me! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi bee, can i replace milo with chocolate powder? For the egg white is from approximately how many eggs? Should i grease top of the bread with some egg or butter before bake?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Yes you can , but the sugar level will be different. So it will also affect the overall flavour and texture of the bread. If you are interested in baking chocolate bread, I suggest choosing a chocolate bread recipe instead.