We all know the weather is not going to get any better. Hot and humid, plus that lingering haze making it worst then before. We can't do anything about the weather, but for sure we can try to keep ourselves cool by drinking more fluid and better still, drinks with medicinal purpose. Today I am making a Lemongrass Aloe Vera drink which is surprisingly easy to prepare and taste really good and refreshing too.
Lemongrass is a good source of vitamins A and C, folate, folic acid, magnesium, zinc, copper, iron, potassium, phosphorus, calcium and manganese. It has many beneficial medicinal properties including anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, antiseptic, antibacterial, and even anti fungal too. As for Aloe Vera, contains over 200 active components including vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, polysaccharide, fatty acids and even aids digestions. Aloe also helps to decrease the amount of unfriendly bacteria and in our gut keeping your healthy intestinal flora in balance.
Enough said, let's get started and make some Lemongrass Aloe drink now. ;)
Ingredients for Lemongrass Aloe Vera Drink : (Serves 6-8 pax)
~500 to 600g Aloe Vera leaf
120 g rock sugar (you can reduce or add on sugar, according to your preference)
3 to 4 stalks lemongrass (depends how strong you want the taste to be)
- Wash and peel off the first exterior layer of the lemongrass stalk. Then slice it into smaller sections.
- Place the cut lemongrass into a pot together with 900 ml ~1 liter of water. Place the pot over the stove at high fire. Once it boils, lower the fire to a simmer. At this point, you can add in the rock sugar.
- Cover and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes. In the meantime, cut the aloe vera flesh out. First you, cut off the end where the leaf is attached to the plan. Then slit the knife underneath the skin as shown:
- Run the knife all the way under through so the top leaf cover is removed. Leaving the flesh exposed. Then again run the knife underneath so the flesh is detached as well.
- Cut the aloe flesh into small cubes. Set aside for use later.
- Remove the lemongrass segments using a sieve.
- At this point, add in the cut up aloe vera flesh into the pot. Bring it to a simmer again.
- Let the mixture boil for another 15 minutes till the aloe is soften a little. Remove from fire and let cool before serve. Enjoy!
Such an easy recipe to whip up! I think the hardest part (which is not that hard also) was to remove the flesh of the aloe out of it's thick skin.
Refreshing and surprisingly, both lemongrass and aloe compliments each other's taste and fragrance. Very nice indeed. ;) Perfect for this hot weather and beat the lingering haze as well.
Another variation is to use pandan leaves in place the aloe vera. Becoming Lemongrass pandan drink. Or perhaps you can add in all 3, the result should be just as fragrant. :9
Do try it out since it is so simple. And let me know when you cook this beverage. Cheers! ;)